We received excellent news from the surgeon!
My mom was optimally debulked, which is very, very significant. The term "debulked" refers to the surgical procedure that she had (removal of the ovaries, uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes, greater omentum, and as much visible cancer as possible). Being optimally debulked means that no tumors larger than 1cm are left behind, versus sub-optimally debulking, which often requires more surgery later.
Women with advanced ovarian cancer that are optimally debulked have a better outlook than those left with large tumors after surgery.
The surgeon was pleasantly surprised and he said that it went better than expected. He was able to remove every visible sign of cancer and the only cancer remaining is microscopic, which the chemo will zap away.
We're absolutely relieved and thrilled.
After these challenging past few months, I've been restored with hope. I realize we still have some tough roads ahead, but being able to celebrate has felt so good.
My mom is recovering well. As expected, she's in pain, but managing very well. We're all exhausted, although my aunt is the absolute best and has been taking the night shift, which allows me to get sleep at the hotel and tackle the day shift. I can't wait to get my mom home.
Thanks for all of your love, strength, and support -- I honestly have the best friends in the entire world.
No comments:
Post a Comment