hope is the thing with feathers -- that perches in the soul -- and sings the tune without the words -- and never stops -- at all
August 21, 2014
Happy summer days
Let me start out by saying that this summer has been absolutely wonderful. I've been fortunate to see many of my good friends, celebrate marriages, travel, and just breathe. Of course the best part has been the time spent with my mom. We've laughed to the point of crying, spent beautiful days at the beach, attended some amazing concerts, swum at the wonderful outdoor 50m pool, and enjoyed everything that comes with summer.
I continue to feel extremely grateful for this time we've had together without any treatment. My mom's health has continued to improve and I can once again see the fight in her. She has completely changed her diet (no refined sugar, dairy, white bread, etc.), she also began an intense regime of supplements that she was unable to take during chemo, and recently she met with a Chinese doctor to begin a herb routine. It gives me so much peace knowing that she is doing everything possible to give this cancer a run for its money.
I've decided to permanently stay in Chicago and make a new life here for myself. I'm so fortunate to have amazing Chicago friends who keep me laughing. I spent June & July volunteering for a refugee youth summer program, which was a great experience, and I will continue with their after-school program in the fall. Once we have a better idea of my mom's treatment plan and needs, I'll evaluate the job situation (can I work full-time or just part-time?) and start looking! I'm eager to get back into the grind.
I'm getting my own apartment in the city and I will finally get my storage pod shipped from DC. It will be so great to have all of my stuff with me in one place, especially my clothes, although I've realized how little one actually needs. My mom and I realized that having my own space will be beneficial for both of us, even if I spend 2-3 nights with her, so I'm moving into a cute 1bdrm in early October. Visitors are welcome!
We've got a lot coming up...
Sept 2 -- move mom into new apartment in Chicago
Sept 3 -- mom gets CT scan
Sept 6 -- MARTHA's wedding!!!
Sept 7 -- Carrie Underwood concert
Sept 8 -- appt. with oncologist at Rush
Sept 10 -- appt. with oncologist at Dana Farber Cancer Institute in Boston for 2nd opinion
Sept 15 -- treatment starts?
Oct 5 -- I move into my own apartment in Chicago
We're in complete moving mode right now as we prepare to transition into a new apartment in Chicago. I can't believe we have to move again...this will be my 8th move in two years. It's also the end of living in Evanston, which is a bit emotional since it's truly home for me. However, the building my mom is moving into is owned by two families that I have known my entire life, so there is already a sense of comfort.
Mentally, I feel better prepared for our upcoming appointments. I have no clue what will happen...I know what I want to hear, but I also have realistic expectations. I'm glad that we're getting a 2nd opinion because this is the point in which there is likely to be varying views on the best course of treatment. Plus, Dana Farber may have a trial for my mom.
The mental roller coaster is perhaps the most difficult to explain. One minute I'm fine and going through my day, and then reality hits me like a bus and I just fall apart. I hate how low the lows are, but I get out of bed each day with a renewed sense of hope. I often feel that my mom is the only one who truly "gets it" and so I find a great deal of comfort when I'm with her because I don't have to explain anything...she just knows. Recently, I came across this article that provides advice for young caretakers and, oh man, it nailed everything right on the head. This is a club I never hoped to join, but now that I'm in it, I have to take things day by day and remember to breathe.
I hope more than anything that my mom is able to travel this fall/winter. It would bring me so much happiness to see her go on an adventure and visit some of the places she has yet to explore. This is my wish.
Please keep us in your thoughts in the coming weeks, especially on the 8th when we see the oncologist. I will do my best to post news in a timely manner, but as you know, I'm awful at communicating these days.
xoxo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment